Saturday, August 21, 2010

saturday afternoon









For my simple Saturday I went outside, took care of the chicken coop, picked some veggies out of my garden and pickled them. It's the simple things in life that bring me pleasure. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day.

Choose a vegetable. I chose beets, carrots and pearl onions.
2 cups cider vinegar
1 and a half cups sugar
half of a cup of water
2tbsp whole peppercorns
2 tsp pickling salt
2 tsp fennel seeds
8 sprigs fresh rosemary
8 sprigs fresh thyme
8 dried bay leaves

Clean and prep vegetable. Cook vegetable until tender. In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, water, peppercorns, salt and fennel seeds. Brings to a boil. Remove from heat. Pack vegetables into warm jars and poor warm liquid over the top. Process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment